November 25, 2008

It was a great birthday party

Well all in all Tristan's party was a success. I worked a 12 hour shift the night before and came home, made pancakes, his birthday cake and thought I would catch a couple hours of sleep when Savannah napped. I got a total of an hour and 45 minutes until 2345 that night when I could no longer keep my eyes open. We had pizza, cake, presents, a campfire and smores, a movie, pillow fights, Wii games (then I bowed out) and Jaesen got them all tucked into bed upstairs watching Eragon in their sleeping bags. In the morning I made eggs, sausages and biscuits and the kids ran around outside until parents began picking them up. I was just worn clean out. Then I had a 12 hour day shift on Monday. Now I get a week break then in 6 days we have 4 more 12 hour shifts to do and we are complete!!! Jack was not allowed to participate in most of his brother's festivities due to what we are calling, "The Duck Incident." It happened at school. I can see you now wondering how could Jack get into trouble at school with a duck. Obviously if you are asking that question you don't know Jack! He had a rough week at school anyway keeping his hands to himself and I had told him he had to stay on blue (which is a good color at his school) if he wanted to hang out with the big kids at the party. Well I get to school to pick them up, I pull up and ask Tristan, "Hey, where's Jack?" Tristan nonchalantly replies, "He's in the office, I heard he killed a duck." My mind began racing, is it possible? Isn't this how serial killers get started, killing animals? Where did he get a duck? I get to the office and there is little Jack, eyes closed because he knows he is in for it, sitting in a chair in the back. One of the 4-H teachers comes up to me and begins to tell me what has happened and I just burst into tears before she got to how it happened because I didn't want to be the Mom of the Duck Killer. That's not what I signed up for. Soccer mom, yes, homeroom mom, sure, the mom who makes her kids scrub their bathroom, you bet, but not this. And once I started crying I couldn't seem to stop, guess I needed a good cry. Thanks Jack. So this is what really happened. He and another child from his class were walking to the library when they came across a duck nest. I know, what school has duck nests anyway. And why does a nest have eggs in the middle of November? Our school obviously. So Jack picked up an egg and threw it on the ground. It didn't break. Did that stop him? Of course not, so he threw it harder and it broke. All this was witnessed by the other student who was telling him to stop and 2 of the 4H kids. And if that wasn't enough, he decided to poke some kid and then hit him. So he was on purple (which is really, really, bad). Long story short (too late) he had a sore rear end, had to write an apology letter to the 4H club and will work for restitution money to pay for the broken duck egg in some form, whether he buys rabbit food or whatever. So it is a pretty funny story today, but it really wasn't last week. Yesterday he had a great day and stayed on blue and we all let out a huge sigh of relief. Now we are crossing our fingers for today, please cross yours too.......

No comments: